Thursday, March 12, 2009

9th Springfield Stop -- Shrine Mosque


The Shrine Mosque (601 St. Louis St.) has been a visible part of Springfield since 1923. The circus is held there every year as well as concerts. When I see the building I always think of the gorilla that terrified me as a child when I attended the circus. He was just a person in a gorilla suit, but he came into the audience and "stole" a purse from a lady. I just couldn't handle that! If you are lucky, you can even catch a sight of the elephants walking on the street and into the building. The circus starts today (March 12).

Since I traveled to Italy, I am fascinated with domes and towers. So, once again, this is the angle that I took in my photo.

P.S. Well, I have proof that that the elephants get to be out on the street. They were getting cleaned up while we (Edie, Darla, Karen and me) were at lunch. I took this photo on Edie's iPhone. Now, whenever I go to lunch, I drive by and look for them.

4 comments:

sconegiver said...

I love the Shrine building, though I've never been inside. I've actually never been to the circus either. But I also have a thing for towers. The ones I saw in Austria are my favorite.

bri said...

My freshman year, I lived right near the Shrine Mosque and had positively no idea what it was, but always thought it was gorgeous! Even though I've never been inside, either...but I always think it's interesting on the weekends to drive past and see what kind of people are waiting outside to see whatever's going on inside...everyone is so different!!

Some clown also tried to make me park the other day for the circus...I rejected him. Especially since I'm afraid of clowns, and because I had just seen this young guy with a sign that said 'if you love animals, protest the circus' and it broke my heart.

MOMelody said...

You both should definitely go inside the building sometime. It is beautiful. I understand how people feel about the animals. However, when you are little you just want to enjoy getting to see them up close.

I, on the other hand, want to go to Austria and I want to reject a clown for trying to make me park.

homecheaphome said...

I too, am among the masses that have not been inside the Shrine. I drive by this every day on my way to work and must say that right now, the circus trailers, busses, and such make it quite difficult to see as I try to make my turn onto the MLK Bridge. Boo.

I do agree though: this is a beautiful work of architecture. Nice shot, Mel.